Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday Gown Showdown: A Few Good Men('s Suits)

We are getting married. It's kind of a big deal. While we want everyone to be relaxed we really don't want our wedding to scream casual, and if anyone shows up in denim J has already promised they will be ejected from the premises. That said, we have made a few bridal party fashion choices that, if not executed properly, could hit the wrong note of "casual bumpkin" wedding.

Namely, we decided to go with a lighter look for the fellas. As we are having a spring wedding in the dessert and have a fairly soft color palette we decided tan or light grey. But alas, finding a tan/sand/khaki/light grey suit during fall and winter is turning out to be a bit of a challenge. Let me re-phrase that... Finding an appropriately semi-formal sand colored suit in a material other than linen or cotton is turning out to be difficult.

I particularly like this look. I think this guy is pulling off semi-formal relaxed elegance in a super way. Although this may in fact be a cotton summer suit, nothing about this reads: I may wear this suit coat over my jorts at the fair later.


This is my second favorite look. We are letting our g-men pick their own attire once we choose a color for picky groomsy, but I like that in this photo you definitely know which one is the groom. It's his day too! His suit is also a bit more formal than I've seen in tan and I really dig the soft pink ties.


There are two major problems we are encountering while shopping for J's tan suit. Problem #1 is definitely that most sand colored suits come in linen. That is just so not happening. This groom doesn't look bad though, right? Just a bit rumpled. I mean if we were in Jamaica...

Problem #2 is that most non-linen sand colored suits come in cotton and as nice and comfy as that is, I think you can end up looking like an IT professional, a la this guy. He looks nice enough, but not exactly special on his big big day. My man has WAY too much style to be looking this drab. You know what, upon further inspection... maybe it's just the IT guy's shoes that are ruining it?


This one I'm including to show you how nicely the sand color compliments the ivory, coraly pink, grey and green (the grass!) we have chosen for our color palette. :)


The final option (and my personal choice) is to go with a nice light grey suit, although the only one we found in stores that was the right light grey was $1800!!! Anyone want to buy J a suit?! This one from J.Crew is considerably more affordable at $500, and a very nice slim-cut style.
I suppose we could also go for a darker grey, and I think that would be re-wearable for my groom, but it's just not as Springy. This guy is pulling off a darker grey 3-piece nicely, but I would ix-nay that black shirt, stat.


We may just wait until closer to Spring and hope there is a wider selection, but in the meantime we are definitely keeping our eyes out. What do you think? Grey or sand?


2 comments:

Shells said...

My fav is the first look, except nix on the white tennis shoes...it needs a light shoe, but something less cas than a tennis shoe.

Formal shirts said...

All of these suits look fab! Great post and pics.