Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Banquet Centerpieces & Runners

Behold. The cause of my sleepless nights: our very bland and concrete reception event space.



Here is a view of the olive wood chair and canvas covered banquet table set-up. Imagine two of these end to end "banquet style" in about 5 rows surrounded by concrete floors and navy blue curtain separators. Now welcome, you have entered into my decorationally challenged personal hell. My head is swimming with way. too. many. ideas.



What to do? How to transform this mess into something that is:



1) Romantic
2) Relaxed but elegant
3) Deserty without being cactusy
4) Personal and sentimental
5) Cohesive in style


Oh internet, you are my friend! Here is what I have spied while perusing the "long banquet table decor" tab of the interwebs. From centerpieces to runners to table numbers to chargers, I am trying to piece together something unified.


I know this is not a banquet style set-up but it is pretty much perfect in my book (except maybe the candles on a cake stand, that's just weird). This is my ultimate aim, only paired down. The green baby hydrangea with pink peonies and the ivory candles not only fall into our color palette but their arrangement is so simple and effortless looking, I am truly loving this. Ok, off to a great start but still not the right type of tables!




Hello, candles!!! This is truly beautiful and simple. So far, the sum of my decoration purchases have been candle holders; LOTS and LOTS of candle holders. Anyone know a good, inexpensive wholesale candle broker?



Next, this is taking into account the "greater picture" if you will. I like all of the hangy balls, and I really like the different colored muted table runners. I am having a really hard time deciding on our runners. Part of me wants a nice soft green patterned fabric that will look nice over the canvas and part of me is thinking something with more texture like a soft green linen (or a subtle burlap?) will look more elegant and less backyard bbq.



One of my other concerns is that our food will be served family style on big platters, taking up most of the tables. Does that mean I should aim for smaller centerpieces? Or should I still decorate as I normally would and just assume they will remove the centerpieces if there isn't enough room for food?

Confused! Let's see what other people did with their runners...
These are all patterned and they look pretty nice. Our friend's Katie and Steve had the most amazing damask table runners at their wedding, they looked so chic.
These floral patterns below definitely hit on the casual side.



On to the solids. Burlap or linen... Linen is so nice with a long colorful stripe, yea? I looove the very last look, but maybe it's the contrast of linen on wood. Hmmm.... Ok, I think I definitely prefer the solids but I am still going to have to search for just the right material.


Whew! One reason that I blog is to air all of the ideas running around in my head, and this definitely got them out! I have a much better idea of what I am planning to use for table runners now and I know I want candles, candles, candles. Still working on the florals and how to incorporate palms into the mix... Stay tuned!


No comments: