Monday, June 29, 2009

Wish I were Feeling Punny and Could Think of a Clever Title That Rhymes with Glamour Closet

When Rach came out for a visit a few weeks ago we thought it would be a good time to go BRIDAL SHOPPING (really, when isn't it a good time for that?) so we headed into LA proper to a store I was sooooo stoked to check out called Glamour Closet. Looking back, I wish we had gone to Bella Bridesmaid instead as I have been waiting for a maid of mine (achem) to go there with me... Ah, well, hindsight is 20/20 and there's always next time, right? Suffice it to say, the Closet was anything but Glamorous.

Sooooo.... The Glamour Closet. They don't take appointments. I should have known right then that this was going to be a mistake. But we persisted. The deal is that these are one-off sample dresses from bridal showrooms and you get only what you see in whatever condition it is, at considerable discount. Sounds good, eh?

When you walk in they give you a bag of colored clips and you "wait patiently for your turn" by walking through the store clipping the 6 dresses you would like to try on. They had about twice this many dresses, from Monique Lhuillierto Vera Wang to Oscar de la Renta to Carolina Herrera to Elizabeth Fillmore:


Well... the problem with this place is definitely the no appointments policy. Even though we went in the morning on a weekday we waited, and I am by no means exaggerating, 2 and a half hours to try on our six dresses. After the first 45 minutes of wandering and choosing dresses the one shop attendant (yes, only one) told us it would be "a few more minutes" and after another hour she said "if you girls want to go shopping or get some lunch I can call you 15 minutes before I'll be ready for you."

Holy cow, I like that she told us that after we had already waited an hour and forty-minutes. UGH. Here's my Rachi waiting sooo patiently... and waiting... and waiting...


I guess you can figure out that even though it's a "sample sale everyday" at the Glamour Closet, some deals just don't add up. They had some lovely dresses on super discount but everything was just a bit thrashed looking and by the time it was my turn I was just too cranky to really love anything.


Never fear, we did take pictures of everythign I tried on, but you will just have to wait for those. In the meantime, the hunt continues...

No comments: